My Teaching House

Bringing the World Closer

Hello everyone! Congratulations on completing your first task: successfully logging in to the MyTeachingHouse.com site!

We are presently developing Generation 2 of the MyTeachingHouse site. It’s a great resource both on the course and after the course (in finding work and keeping up with friends you’ve made during the course). As this site is under development, we’d appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you have.

I have a few more tasks for you to complete—it may take about an hour or two. Please read the instructions below and complete it before next Monday.

Directions: All written answers must be posted on this thread (First Assignment) within the discussion forum in your course group. Since there are many of you, it's important to post only on this thread (click "Reply to This" at the bottom) so that we can keep the forum from getting full and messy-looking. However, if you have any other comments or questions you are welcome to start a new thread.

1. If you haven’t already, edit your profile with your current location, status and photo.

2. Browse through our international directory of English language schools (hover over "RESOURCES" in the toolbar at the top of the page and click "SCHOOL DIRECTORY" ). Post the name of a school that you think you might be interested in applying to after the course, and (briefly) why you liked that school.

3. Go to Course Forms (the big blue arrow on your course page) and find a word from one of the glossaries that you do not know.

4. Check out the Forums section of the site and watch Bill Harris' demo lesson: (VIDEO) Demo Lesson: Elementary Level Speaking/Pronunciation/Vocabulary Focus. Post a reply to this discussion or another in the forums section.

5. Post one idea or recommendation for MyTeachingHouse.com.

6. Post a personal goal related to taking our Teaching House CELTA course.

7. Post a comment about someone else’s comments, for example, “Lizzy, I agree with your comment about the job listings section…” or “Abby, I saw that you wanted to work in Paris. I was thinking about that myself—is it hard to find work in France?” If you're one of the first people to post, come back later with a comment after your peers have caught up.

Good luck and keep coming back to our site! You can email me at christen@teachinghouse.com with any questions.

All the best,

Christen

Views: 164

Replies to This Discussion

1-I'm interested to apply to Hail university, KSA. First of all, that's where my wife works at the moment. Second, I was promised a job by the Dean of the preparatory year at the university if I get my CELTA certificate.
Third, Hail is an amazing place.
Upon successful completion of the CELTA program, my first order of business will be to apply to language schools in New York City. I’m particularly interested in the ELS Language Centers/Juilliard School and similar programs which offer specialized cultural excursions in conjunction with language education. English, the arts and New York City – a beautiful combination.
I referred ELS to a friend a few months ago and they talked a lot about the Juilliard summer program. It really seems to be very interesting. As an amateur musician (and former graduate student in the arts), I actually felt jealous I couldn't be in the program myself!
I'm interested in applying to schools in the San Francisco Bay area. My top choices would be ELS, Berlitz or any ESL department associated with a university or college.
Felipe! Fantastic. I also have a graduate degree in the arts but completed my undergrad work in Northern California. I have many friends in the heavenly Bay Area including a CELTA grad now working at St. Giles. I suppose it's never too early to start networking! Looking forward to meeting you, JRN
A glossary word with which I was unfamiliar: REALIA. It sounds very much like a new pharmaceutical in development at Pfizer. "Do you suffer from delusions or grandiose thinking? Ask your doctor about Realia today!"

A suggestion for MyTeachingHouse.com: The video demo lessons are both helpful and inspirational. If possible, please post a few more.

Personal goal(s) related to Teaching House's CELTA course: 1. To remain focused, energetic and confident throughout. 2. To be a supportive asset to my teammates. 3. To emerge with enough ideas, methods and theories to fill a Mary Poppins magic carpet bag.
J.R.,
Ditto on the suggestion for more lesson videos. The videos really got my mind working about how an ESL classroom would actually function.
After completing the CELTA course I am interested in applying to schools in New York. I have heard that continuing education is good at the New School so that is one that caught my eye. Eventually I will want to work outside the U.S. (Asia?) but I have no immediate plans to travel.
If I complete this course I am looking at teaching in Moscow or possibly Asia. Not sure at the moment, but I have contacted schools in Moscow and received two positive responses.

I'm surprised by ppl looking to work in the US. I didn't know that there were many opportunities to teach english in the US.

RSS

© 2024   Created by My Teaching House.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service